Mechanical Torque Limiter Clutches
Carlyle Johnson's mechanical torque limiter clutches provide protection against overloads while sustaining torque, so that shutdown and restart is not required. Acting like a torsion shock absorber to permit "slip" if the torque exceeds an adjustable pre-set level, these units are used in any application where obstructions can cause overloads, or where production is sensitive to over-tensioning.
The TL1, TL2 and TL3 model multiple disc mechanical torque limiter clutches are often utilized in applications such as machine tools, conveyor systems, off-highway mobile equipment, in textile or paper mills.
CJM engineers can design and produce a custom mechanical torque limiter clutch or brake to meet your exact needs, and we can alter our standard torque limiter clutches to achieve your requirements. Our engineering department is ready for your toughest power transmission challenge.
Features of Multiple Disc Torque Limiter Clutch Units
Depending on size, CJM mechanical torque limiter clutches are adjustable over a wide torque range from 1lb.ft. to 2000 lb. ft. Small space-saver sizes - from 2-3/16" to 8-5/8" O.D. - and high torque potential make them the best possible choice for applications where obstructions can cause temporary overloads or where over-tensioning is a problem.
Unlike our overload release clutches, which automatically cut the torque from full to zero, a torque limiter clutch acts as a torsion shock absorber to permit "slip" if torque exceeds an adjustable pre-set level. CJM multiple disc mechanical torque limiter clutches are available in multiple models.
- TL1 / Type 1
A cut-off coupling designed to join two shafts, the TL1 torque limiter clutch transits torque from one shaft to the other.
- TL2 / Type 2
A cut-off coupling designed to join two shafts, the TL2 unit transits torque from one shaft to the other.
- TL3 / Type 3
A sprocket drive, TL3 torque limiter clutches typically mount on the motor shaft as an integral part of the drive mechanism.
Overview - TL1, TL2 & TL3 Mechanical Torque Limiters
- Sustains torque level
- High torque in a small size
- Predictable dynamic and static torque
- Easily adjustable over a wide range
- Superior adjustment retention
- Designed for easy rebuilt with no special tools required
- Steel-on-bronze friction discs provide longer life than fiber discs
- Torque range 1 lb. ft.- 2000 lb. ft.
- Can be pre-set to transmit torque constantly regardless of the speed of the drive mechanism
- Adjusting nut on end of hub regulates spring pressure against multiple steel-on-bronze friction disc assembly
- Multiple sizes from 2-3/16" to 8 5/8" O.D.
- Internal Flange Drive Cup sold separately
- Custom designs and alterations available
- Machine tools
- Conveyor systems
- Off-highway mobile equipment
- In textile or paper mills
OTHER CJM MECHANICAL CLUTCHES
- Multiple Disc Mechanical Clutch (MMS/MMD)
- Disc Pac Modules (MDP)
- Overload Release Mechanical Clutch (MOR & ORI)